Sunday, November 9, 2014

Unwash Your Hair!


The big rage right now are conditioning shampoos, they are a one step "shampoo" and conditioner all in one that does not strip your hair of it's natural oils like regular shampoo can. You may have herd of or tried "Wen" products, Unwash is similar in concept but I believe it to have more technology behind the way theirs works. 

Unwash calls their system a cowash, the "co" standing for conditioner. More about co-washing from their blog:
"After years and years of being told that the proper way to achieve clean, healthy hair is by using a shampoo followed by a conditioner, we've become accustomed to this two-step method. But what many of us don’t realize is that the majority of shampoos out there contain harsh detergents (sodium lauryl sulfates and sodium chloride) which not only strip the hair of essential oils that protect, moisturize and add shine to hair, but which also can cause a dry scalp, flaking and over time the breakage of strands.Essentially, it’s just an ongoing cycle of stripping and replenishing. Luckily, we've now entered a new era, the era of cowashing and cleansing hair in just one step! The idea of cowashing, which stands for conditioner washing, was derived using the notion that hair should be treated exactly as it was created to the body — as an asset. Hair follicles and strands are not “alive” like the rest of the body and as such need to be nurtured rather than stripped.Cowashing is cleansing the hair with conditioner instead of shampoo. Rather than using detergents, there’s a conditioner-like formula void of any harsh surfactants that can dry out hair. Excess oils and buildup are safely and gently washed away while the cuticle of hair is left undisturbed, unharmed and perfectly intact. I like to call it the “intelligent” approach to hair washing and the better way — no, the BEST way of cleansing to maintain an overall moisture balance and optimal scalp and hair health."

So I have never used one of these "conditioning cleansers" before and I will say I was a skeptic. 

I used Unwash for the first time today to cleanse my hair. I had been given a sample of it from one of the reps and had been meaning to try it. He was telling me about all the success and testimonials about it so I went ahead and ordered some for my retail shelves without even trying it, call me impulsive. However, I had been meaning to get something in the salon to fit this "niche" and this product so it just seemed like a good fit. 

So anyways, today I used it. It has a conditioner consistency so that is something you definitely have to get used to, it has no lather, which is expected as it is not a typical shampoo. The directions say to massage it into your scalp and them comb it down through the rest of your hair with a wide tooth comb. With no wide tooth comb in sight I decided to use my Wet Brush (which is also a totally awesome tool, if you have not checked them out). After massaging and brushing, I rinsed. I honestly expected my hair to feel a little greasy, like as if you had only used conditioner on your hair since that was what it felt like. However, I could actually tell that it felt clean. Not the stiff, dry, "squeaky clean" that you get when you have only used shampoo and have not applied your conditioner yet, but a clean that felt like I had honestly used both shampoo and conditioner with one step. My fingers could run right through my hair, it felt moisturized but not heavy which is great for anyone who doesn't want something that will weigh their hair down (pretty much everyone!).

I followed up with my normal hair styling routine with root boost spray and smoothing serum, then blow dried. I am excited to use this product more and see what else I notice. I will post any other updates! 

-Sarah Boulton 

Unwash Video 

No comments:

Post a Comment